Mentions are essentially “tagging” people in your posts. When you tag someone, you associate them with the post. This sends a notification to them that the post contains their name. To tag someone:
- Open the Publisher Box.
- Locate the @ symbol below the text area.
- Click on it to insert a @.
- Without leaving a space after the # mark, enter a username you would like to associate with your post. (for example: @mumblit)
- After typing 3 letters, an autocomplete dropdown will appear, and you can select the user you would like to mention. You can continue typing letters to narrow down the search.
- The mention will link itself to the user added after the @ mark.
- Add a space after the mention.
- Repeat this process until you have added the mentions you want.
- Be advised that you can also just type the @ symbol and username without pressing the @ button on the publisher box.
- Enter your text into the text area. (optional)
- Click the Publish button when complete.
Mentions can be placed into any post type, however, please do so with care. Not everyone likes being tagged in a post. Also, excessive use of tagging can be considered spamming and will be dealt with under our anti-spam policies located in the Terms of Service.
The mention dropdown will only show users that you have followed. This is to prevent excessive tagging without first making a connection.
There is no limit to the number of mentions contained in a post.